Saturday, December 12, 2009

'Tis the Season

I am an adopter of orphaned orchids.  I shelter, pet, and sing mantras to inspire them to blossom.  Today a close friend knocked on my door with a sad little orchid in her hands.  The poor thing, crammed in a plastic pot, whose stem was cut all the way at the base, looked as if it would cry if only it knew how.  I welcomed her with open arms, and now am trying to figure out what will delight her little plant heart.  A new pot, for one, and being next to other lovely flowers, I'm sure will help her.  

Husby thinks I'm insane- I haven't any semblance of a green thumb, yet somehow my orchids always pull through.  They live happily on our antique sideboard, and I think part of the reason they thrive is due to their appreciation of fine Spanish antiques.  Orchids have impeccable taste, you know.  Yet, at the rate I'm going, our sideboard (which also moonlights as our bar) may have to become solely devoted to plant display, much to Husby's chagrin.  I simply couldn't say "no" to another neglected orchid;  'tis the season, and everyone should spend the holidays with loved ones, even orchids.

No comments:

Post a Comment