Thursday, January 7, 2010

A La La Ho!

Today was a day unlike any other... an earthquake-morning (which I was unaware of)... some playtime with the pup at our favorite beach,  my first birth as a doula (which I missed the delivery for, but still was able to do some post-partum work and loved every moment of it) and an evening of Reiki with an amazing master!  I've learned so much in the past 10 hours I feel like I might burst at the seams- which means I need to meditate and practice soon, but first I'd love to divulge more about my experiences.

I was just getting on the road to visit Dad when I received a text saying "I'm at the hospital NOW"... I immediately turned around and raced home to change and ask Husby to wrangle some food for me to inhale on my way over the hill.  The text came at 12:11 this afternoon.  I was outside the delivery room at 12:55.  Natasha was born at 12:52... three minutes before I arrived and was waylaid at the nurse's station.  It was a bit anti-climactic, but I was in complete awe of the beauty of a five minute old baby.

I watched her turn from the soft color of a pale rose to a shimmering, soft, vibrant peach.  I watched her face soften and decompress and take on the features of her mother and father.  Her deep blue eyes open and take in the world around her for the first time.  Watch her fall in love with her mother's face and clearly recognize her father's voice.  She was the quietest, most serene being I'd ever witnessed and I felt the gentlest form of humility being in her presence.  Her mom asked me if she seemed okay when the nurses bustled out... if her silence was a sign of something problematic;  it was obvious that was not the case: it was a sign of her gentle, compassionate birth.  Her mom (from what I heard and what I know of her) did an amazing job at staying calm and present and loving throughout her very rapid labor.  And the placid look that Natasha maintained was evidence of that.  She barely fussed when put through the gauntlet of pokings and proddings- simply waited patiently to be reunited with her mama.  I loved holding all 9 pounds 4 ounces of her!  Introducing myself, keeping her snuggled when mom had to be monitored or used the restroom, or needed a mini-break.  Taking all the pictures I could to document the mini-miracle.  It was heaven for me, and I knew I had found my calling.  I stayed with the new family for about four hours- as long as the mom wished, and offered advice when I was asked and shared in the joy and wonderment of her new life.  Although I missed Natasha's actual birthing, I feel as though I was truly present for the celebration of her Birth Day and will always cherish those memories.  Assisting and guiding through such transitional phases is deeply rewarding to me... I thrive and relish the experiences, and feel deeply blessed.

Driving home I felt compelled to stop at my favorite Santa Cruz witchy-shop to see what was "new" and just enjoy how juicy it always feels in there- maybe I just wasn't quite ready to "come down" and back to reality.  While there I met an amazing woman who was offering a weekly Reiki-Share, which she invited me to sit in on, if I felt so inclined. (Which I did!)  At first no one else showed up, so if was just she and I- touching palms, enjoying the flow, as it were.  We both felt intimately connected to one another and shared so much about ourselves in a few brief moments. And did I mention this amazing Reiki Master is also a doula???  Kismet. I received much confirmation regarding the events of my life this past week and the direction my path seems to be leading me... and it was such a restorative and rejuvenating experience after what turned out to be an adventurous and life-altering day...A La La Ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment